Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lost in a Forest of People

Although surrounded by friends and family, one can find themselves feeling isolated and alone. This has been the case for me in recent weeks. Being the mom in a big busy family, I am rarely alone. Truthfully, I love the hustle and bustle, and thrive on being with family and friends, busily doing for others. When loneliness creeps up on me, I am bewildered by how quickly I can find myself lost in the forest of people and aimlessly wandering the maze of endless chores. Yes, there is a smile on my face, but inside, I am crying out for someone to care about me, appreciate me, love me. These thoughts are crazy! There are people all around me that love me, appreciate me, and care about me. So why do I feel so alone?

I'm beginning to understand that these feelings are merely symptoms of a deeper underlying need... A need for solitude, time in prayer, time alone with God.... A need for intimacy. The cure for loneliness is not busy-ness, parties, or people. It is in taking time to be alone with God, cultivating that relationship, seeking His love and getting to know him better. How I long for friendship, intimacy, love.

Being created in God's image, we are created to know and be known, created for intimacy. Constantly I seek to know the people in my life even more closely. Intimate human relationships are extremely important and give us a tiny taste of God's pursuit for intimacy with us. When that intimacy we were created for is missing, we find ourselves lost, wandering aimlessly, feeling completely alone. Loneliness can occur even when our lives are filled with people and relationships. We effectively get "lost in a forest of people," lost in the busy-ness of life.

Listen beneath the chatter and the noise. There is sweet friendship waiting in the solitude, waiting with open arms to capture your lonely heart and fill it with His love and joy.

1 O God, you are my God;
    I earnestly search for you.
My soul thirsts for you;
    my whole body longs for you
in this parched and weary land
    where there is no water.
2 I have seen you in your sanctuary
    and gazed upon your power and glory.
3 Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
    how I praise you!
4 I will praise you as long as I live,
    lifting up my hands to you in prayer.
5 You satisfy me more than the richest feast.
    I will praise you with songs of joy.
6 I lie awake thinking of you,
    meditating on you through the night.
7 Because you are my helper,
    I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.
8 I cling to you;
    your strong right hand holds me securely.
Psalm 63:1-8, NLT




No comments:

Post a Comment

Watering Deeply

For the past few years, I have been in a very broken, parched, weathered place in life. Heavy burdens had become the norm for me. Our childr...