Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone. We had a great meal, warm house, and most of the family here, along with a dear family friend. It's funny the things you think about in the middle of hustle and bustle busy-ness. My mind kept flashing back to years gone by... pictures in my mind of toothless grins and mischief laden twinkles in my son's eyes; the girls giggling and running around with squeals of delight during games of tag.


The three eldest are married now, and while that brings joy to my heart, it is a bittersweet joy. I realized as we shared our Thanksgiving meal with the five still at home how empty the house feels without the ones who've grown up and gone... how much I miss them. Being a mom is not easy, but I think the hardest thing of all is letting them go when the job of raising them is finished.




When my kids were small, that job of parenting them loomed large before me. Now I truly understand that our children are only lent to us for a moment, and that moment is gone before we know it. While there are many regrets for mistakes I made, there are many more wonderful memories, cherished memories that I carry in my heart. Even as my own youth fades away, those memories bring me comfort, satisfaction, and happiness. Tonight I am grateful that God chose to touch my life with motherhood, and that He chose me to raise eight wonderful people.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Watering Deeply

For the past few years, I have been in a very broken, parched, weathered place in life. Heavy burdens had become the norm for me. Our childr...